Dear Margo: Be Well

Margo_tall18Be Well

This will be my last column as Dear Margo. I have been giving advice for 15 years — first as Dear Prudence and then under my own name. I have been writing for newspapers for 45 years. The time feels right to retire from deadline journalism. I plan to write long-form pieces as the spirit moves me.

I am not leaving to spend more time with my family, but rather to spend more time with my inner child … the one who has lunch with girlfriends, shops, sleeps late and plows through decades of files (kind of a jumped-up version of straightening up your sock drawer).

I have greatly enjoyed trying to help a very engaged group of readers. Thank you for your trust, your opinions and for what you have taught me. Be well.

Dear Margo is written by Margo Howard, Ann Landers’ daughter.

COPYRIGHT 2013 MARGO HOWARD DISTRIBUTED BY CREATORS.COM

1. avatar TheTexasMom says:

I saw this day coming but wishing you the best.

2. avatar kseeley says:

you will be missed.

3. avatar Adrienne St Claire says:

Thank you for the words of wit and wisdom over the years, and best wishes for a bright and happy retirement. We look forward to hearing from you–whenever you’re ready.

4. avatar Merlindbear says:

Thank you, Ms. Howard, for your work … I’ve been a fan ever since I came across your column in Slate some years back, and indeed you will be missed.
    May you and your inner child know only joy and light as you rediscover each other.

5. avatar Florafloraflora says:

Farewell, Dear Margo. I’ve been enjoying your advice ever since you first started at Slate way back in the day. Happy trails to you and your inner child.

6. avatar Jen_is_working says:

I registered just to tell you that I will miss your column! I am so glad that only a few weeks ago you published your helpful advice to my letter before you decided to retire from writing your column. Best wishes and enjoy yourself.

7. avatar bamabob says:

Thanks for you advice, both in general and to me specifically. Enjoy your lunches, shopping, waking up at noon and whatever else fills your days with joy.

8. avatar Windbringer says:

Oh, I am so sorry. Have a nice life!

9. avatar Toni Jean says:

I’ve been a fan since your Peudie days and followed you here. You will be missed! Let that wild rumpus begin!!!

10. avatar JonT1971 says:

Whaaaaaat??? I’m selfishly hoping you’ll change your mind at the moment, but in the long run I hope you enjoy your well deserved leisure time. I’ve enjoyed your columns since Dear Prudence as well as your Tweets. Be well!

11. avatar Humama says:

Blessings to you, Margo! We all have appreciated your candor and wisdom over the years. The apple truly has not fallen far from the tree. I wish you well as you enter this phase of your life. Take good care of yourself; you have given so much to all of us over the years. Godspeed!

12. avatar Ariana says:

Enjoy your well earned retirement! Ive been following your articles off and on my whole life. I like your practical no nonsense approach to life, and Im looking forward to your best of book once you get throughh that file drawer ;-D

13. avatar clutzycook says:

I’ve been reading your columns since the early 2000′s on Slate. It’s sad, but I much congratulate you on being someone who knows when to hold ‘em and when to fold ‘em. Best of luck to you Margo.

14. avatar martina says:

Wishing you a long, healthy and happy retirement.

15. avatar eamangum29 says:

I never post, but have read your column without fail since your Dear Prudie days. Thursdays and Fridays won’t be the same. Enjoy your retirement from the daily grind … and writing when the spirit moves you!

16. avatar Cindy M says:

Aww. :-( I will VERY much miss you, Margo. Blessings and love to you. :-)

17. avatar normadesmond says:

mazel tov darling, go….go and have a ball!

i must admit, it was nice knowing
    that you were always “there”….just in case.

18. avatar Obediah Fults says:

Dear Margo,

I wish you all the best in your retirement and need to let you know that I’ll miss reading your column more than you’ll ever know. I keep a Twitter account ONLY so I can read your witty, irreverent, and right-on Tweets. Sometimes (rarely), I even interact with you and I feel so honored when you respond!

Good luck and good health to you, dear friend. See you on Twitter (I hope)!

As always,
    Dennis Hunt (a.k.a. “Obediah Fults”)

19. avatar Heidi W says:

Oh Margo,
    I will miss you! I read your column every week and the extra columns you write, even though it’s been quite a while since I have left a comment, I think the last one was when Michael Jackson died. You go ahead girl, take care of that inner child and have a blast! I wish you the very best in your new endeavors! Take Care! :o )

20. avatar beatrix_pierre says:

Oh no! Don’t go! I sure wish you would continue your column. I enjoyed reading your mother’s column as a child and I enjoyed you as Prudence and I was glad I found you here. I’m very sad. I sure wish this day didn’t come.

21. avatar JCF4612 says:

Dear Margo: Enjoy those girlie lunches (hopefully with drinkies afterward at one the lunch companion’s salon), and all the best with the sock drawer. It’s been fun, and we’ve enjoyed sharing a great ride with you.

• avatar JCF4612 says:

Also, on a final note: David Bolton … have been missing you.

• avatar David Bolton says:

FINALLY. This stupid site wouldn’t let me log in for the longest time, despite whatever browser I used (I even tried my iPhone).

So I don’t know if I was blocked or not. But anyway, here I am at last.

So—to catch up on things… all the LWs are idiots and affected with narcissism, insert a snarky yet clever and poignant reply here, and I love you all. It’s been a lot of fun and very eye-opening to participate in this forum, and Margo—best of luck to you.

22. avatar Priscilla L says:

Have a happy retirement, Margo! Although of course I’ve disagreed with you sometimes, overall I have always enjoyed your advice. You are always respectful and are open-minded. You’re a smart cookie and I look forward to reading anything you decide to write in the future.

23. avatar L T says:

Enjoy your well-earned retirement. You will be greatly missed.

24. avatar Tricia Robey says:

I wish you the very best Margo! I loved your approach on advise and will sorely miss it but I will smile each time I think of you- out there having a ball, this is your time, make the most of it. So as I tell my kids: Do crazy fun things, don’t get caught!

25. avatar SassyFras says:

You will be truly missed! Fare thee well, Dear Margo, enjoy and cherish your inner child! You have brought smiles, tears, humor, wit, and good old fashioned common sense to many. Now let that inner child go play!