Beauty editor Lois Joy Johnson on the 10 products none of us should go without
Here’s what happens when you reach 50: the face you’ve known and loved has moved on but your makeup hasn’t. Every day is hit or miss. Tricks that worked in your twenties, thirties, and early forties are letting you down. When people start telling you that you look better without makeup it’s time to get serious and rethink the entire thing from scratch. There are certain products none of us should be without. Here are the top 10 that make aging just another gorgeous adventure.
1. EYE PRIMER: Prevents liners and shadows from getting mushy and smearing or disappearing within hours of application. TRY: Laura Mercier Eye Basics ($24 sephora.com)
2. A TINTED MOISTURIZER: Moisture plus light color gives thin, spotted sun-damaged skin an even look and a fresh glow. TRY: Bobbi Brown Extra Tinted Balm ($50 bobbibrowncosmetics.com)
3. AN OPAQUE TRANSFER-RESISTANT CONCEALER: Full-stop coverage for brown spots on face, chest and backs of hands. Needs no retouching too. TRY: Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Concealer ($21 dermablend.com)
4. A FOUNDATION BRUSH: This tool makes the difference for skin that’s lost a taut firm feeling. Go back and forth over the skin using a patting beating motion. TRY: Lancôme Foundation Brush #2 ($33.50 lancome-usa.com)
5. A CONCEALER BRUSH: For covering brown spots, broken capillaries and blemishes or applying concealer in the eye area. You need accuracy that fingers can’t deliver. TRY: Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Brush ($26 lauramercier.com)
6. HIGH PIGMENT BLACK PENCIL LINER: A concentrated black pencil firms up eye shape and brings out eye color in an amazing way. Don’t be afraid of it. Apply along the top lash line and in the lower waterline for everyday emphasis. TRY: Lancôme Le Crayon Kohl in Black Ebony ($24.50 lancome-usa.com)
7. A DO-IT-ALL EYE COMPACT: For fast lining, contouring and shaping a multi-color neutral compact kit works well and travels easily in your bag. TRY: Dior 5-Colour Eye Shadow Palette ($58 neimanmarcus.com)
8. TAUPE/ BLONDE BROW PENCIL: This shade works for almost everyone. It helps extend and fill in brows that have lost their line and shape. TRY: Anastasia Beverly Hills Perfect Brow Pencil in Taupe or Blonde ($22 anastasia.net)
9. TINTED BROW GROOMER GEL: A styler that controls wiry, curly, coarse or difficult brows. The brunette shade blends in grays on dark brows too. TRY: Lancôme Modele Sourcils Brow Groomer in Taupe or Brunet ($22 lancome-usa.com)
10. A NATURAL- TONED LIP PENCIL: Corrects asymmetries as lips lose definition and flatten. Use it to round the bow for a subtle enhancement of thin lips TRY: Bobbi Brown Lip Liner ($22 bobbibrowncosmetics.com)
Editor’s Note: Style expert Lois Joy Johnson is coauthor, with makeup artist Sandy Linter, of The Makeup Wakeup: Revitalizing Your Look At Any Age. A founding editor of More magazine, she has spent decades working women who changed the face of beauty, including Christie Brinkley, Lauren Hutton, Isabella Rossellini, and Diane Keaton. Lois has been a frequent contributor on The Today Show, The Early Show, Extra, and CNN.