Buddhist monk and bestselling author Matthieu Ricard reveals nine mindsets that keep us from living our best lives
Avoid the attitudes below, says scholar-healer Matthieu Ricard, and you’ll be on the path to a happier life.
1. Cultivating an exacerbated sense of self-importance
2. Ruminating on the past
3. Being anxious about the future
4. Being unable to remain in the present moment
5. Pinning all your hopes on the outer conditions of happiness – for example, wealth, power, and physical appearance
6. Neglecting to cultivate the inner conditions of happiness: inner peace, inner freedom, altruistic love and compassion
7. Seeking happiness only for ourselves, and not for others
8. Being overly concerned with gain and loss, praise and criticism, fame and anonymity
9. Allowing our prejudices to interfere our objectivity
Former geneticist Matthieu Ricard is a Buddhist monk, humanitarian and international bestselling author of Why Meditate: Working with Thoughts and Emotions. Visit him on the web at matthieuricard.org.