Celebrated beauty editor Lois Joy Johnson answers the $64,000 beauty question
I bet you hear “You look tired” way too often. Every woman knows it’s code for “Whatever happened to you?! You look like hell!” We often say it (in a more snarky way) to ourselves at 7A.M. No surprise. In addition to the age demons — menopause, hair loss, insomnia and weight gain — we’re dealing with saggy skin, droopy lids, puffs, circles, bags and wrinkles. Even designer clothes, five inch heels, a mojo perfume and a sexy swagger can’t compensate. These ten makeup tricks — and ten minutes — make all the difference:
1. BUFF TO GLOW. Use an exfoliating cleanser or enzyme mask to boost circulation, slough off dead cells and de-clog pores. Healthier-looking skin surfaces in seconds.
2. LIFT YOUR BROWS. Tweeze away droopy hairs that curve around eyes and exacerbate droop. Use pencil and powder to fill and extend brows outwards.
3. USE A FACE PRIMER. Prevent makeup from creasing, caking and settling in expression lines and fill the pores on your nose in one step. Your face won’t look like an unmade bed.
4. GO SHEERER AND WARMER WITH FOUNDATION. Yellow toned foundation freshens grey, pasty, stressed skin. Skim a damp makeup sponge over you face to remove excess coverage and create a dewy skin-like look.
5. WAKE UP EYES WITH HIGHLIGHTER. Piling on skin tone concealer emphasizes under-eye bags and puffiness. Use a highlighter pen or soft white pencil to brighten eyes at the inner eye corners and add sparkle.
6. CORRECT CIRCLES WITH TINTS. Hide super-dark circles with tinted shades- orange/yellow concealer for blue/purple circles, mauve/rose for brown circles. Skin-tone cover-up won’t do it.
7. KEEP EYE MAKEUP CLEAN AND CRISP. No smudgy or smoky– a crisp eye compensates for loose skin and pouches below. Dot a felt-tip black liner beneath the top lashes (hold lid taut and lift it to do this) to keep definition sharp.
8. GET OUT THE BRONZER. Apply a skin compatible bronzer (not too dark) in a C-shape to cheekbones and forehead, on chin and down the neck for radiance. Skip the nose.
9. APPLY CREAM BLUSH ON CHEEKBONES. Forget about apples. Blush goes high on the cheekbones away from the nose and nasal labial folds. Cream blush makes bronzer look real and adds life to your face.
10. BRIGHTEN LIPS. Swap nudes for clear pink, apricot, coral, rose or raspberry shades that bring attention to lips not lines.
Editor’s Note: Style expert Lois Joy Johnson is coauthor, with makeup artist Sandy Linter, of The Makeup Wakeup: Revitalizing Your Look At Any Age. A founding editor of More magazine, she has spent decades working women who changed the face of beauty, including Christie Brinkley, Lauren Hutton, Isabella Rossellini, and Diane Keaton. Lois has been a frequent contributor on The Today Show, The Early Show, Extra, and CNN.