NORA

There will be no opening quote today.

This is one of the saddest days of my life and when you learn that the giant satirist, writer, essayist Nora Ephron has died, as she did yesterday in New York Hospital, it should be sad for you too. Nora was the-better-than-Dorothy Parker literary genius of our times and a much finer more marvelous human being than the downbeat Dottie. In fact, comparisons ARE odious.
I have been glancing through my Nora file, which, if I had kept it up since I first met her way back in the early 60’s, when The New York Post was owned by a Jewish liberal, I would own something priceless.

But I can’t bear to look into it right now. Nora seemed fine when we lunched about a month ago. I knew she’d been ill but never that it was fatal. I am
as shocked as anyone else. There will be a funeral
tomorrow at 11:30 but I am reluctant to say where for fear there’ll be a riot.

I will have to write about Nora Ephron another day but my heart goes to Nick Pileggi, Jacob and Max Bernstein and the thousands of people who adored Nora Ephron. I am just one of them.

1. avatar bobderek says:

Anyone’s death is sad, but I must admit I did not pay close attention to Ms. Ephron, nor her to me. We were not exactly on the same political path, and one life partner is my limit. But as I read about her now I am struck that there is no nastiness or hate in her views. She was a woman of her own mind who got the most out of life. Anyone who puts “kids” first on list of the things she will miss is OK with me. Condolences to those who loved her. We all have something to learn from her humanity.

Bob

2. avatar Patricia Frost says:

It is such a sad day for all New Yorkers. Ms Ephron was the voice for my generation of women. Her writing made me laugh, cry and reflect on my own life’s journey…I knew I wasn’t crazy for wearing scarves in July!
    All those stories she will never put to paper is our loss and a loss to generations to come.

3. avatar julesAI says:

Very sad and grateful for her work. Reading her essays oh so long ago in Ms Magazine—she taught me that humor was as important as serious activism.

4. avatar Baby Snooks says:

Liz I hope you run the “goodbye” you ran yesterday before all the melodarama began – it was one of the nicest things I have read in my life and I hope somehow someone read it to her before she died.

5. avatar cb says:

I am a little heartsick myself and no, of course I didn’t know her personally, but I felt she knew me… she wrote from a woman’s voice that I recognized and found comforting (I’m not alone!), and strove to be (fat chance – she was just so damn smart). I loved how she spoke of her sisters and her girlfriends, and how they spoke of her. Any woman that beloved by other women is living right. I came of age when she owned romantic comedies in pop culture, and she made women want a little more from their man. Her women were professional and smart and funny and warm – they were good girlfriends and had open hearts. And the men they loved were too. Google her interviews, and you’ll she’s a comedienne to boot. Love you Nora. Rest in Peace.

6. avatar Rho says:

I am very sad too — she was wonderful, may she rest in peace.

7. avatar mary burdt says:

I loved Nora Ephron’s naturalness. She was a smart, funny, intuitive writer who knew us women well. She will be missed. Mary

8. avatar Gioia Chronicles says:

Another light has gone out on earth.  Rest in Peace, Nora.

9. avatar cmp says:

She was singular. Precious & profound & joyful. I loved her and feel such tremendous loss.

10. avatar srobarge says:

I laughed when I read most everything she wrote and I felt she was a friend sharing a table, a cup of tea, a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. If we could, we would people watch, savor the food and convince each other that we were all right with the world. Good- by friend..life well lived.

11. avatar Linda says:

Wonderful tribute Liz! Reading both your piece and watching Barbara Walters this morning on the View trying to keep it pulled together while speaking of Nora really spoke of the impact she had on lives. Next time you all get together at lunch, just pull up an empty chair until the time comes when you feel differently.

12. avatar JCF4612 says:

Dear Liz: Count me among millions of fans who adored and admired Nora (and her neck). After all, wasn’t it she who inspired so many of us to stagger out of bed on bad mornings after nights that were even worse?

I regret you (and others privileged to be within her personal circle) never had opportunity to say goodbye, or at least to to savor your final lunch with knowledge that a -30- was in the offing.

When you’re over the shock, we’ll await your memories and recollections. Take care.