Mr. wOw’s 2011 Oscar Telecast — Live Blog!

Shutterstock

Join us as our irascible, indomitable and irresistible Mr. wOw hosts tonight’s Academy Awards presentation

Here it is..  our favorite man’s inimitable take on the fashion, the faux, and the fun of the biggest night in Hollywood. Take him on yourself in the comments section below!

1. avatar Richard Bassett says:

….and do something (anything) with Scarlett’s hair. I am surprise that Matthew didn’t bring Lance (the bromance of the decade)

*Not putting down cancer

2. avatar Mr. Wow says:

James looks…strange. And why a grey shirt?

Marisa. Love her and she’s a beauty.  Nix on the dress.  But a high mark for trying to go glam in a vintage way.

3. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Cate.  This is truly ugly.  Sorry. But you are a great actress.

• avatar Jessica Burnette says:

I couldn’t watch because I had to work, but I did get to look at the pics of everyone’s arrival and I though Cate B and Nicole K looked awesome.  Especially Nicole, I wish I was tall enough to make a dress like that look as good on me!  I thought Scarlett Johanssen looked good, too.  Some of the girls here chastised her “see-through” dress.  I thought she looked great (even the hair!). :)

• avatar CatA says:

I so agree, Mr. Wow. Cate the Great has made some weird, but passable wardrobe moves before (the yellow dress with red sash), but this dress was a catastrophe.  The bodice-over-the-flowing-material thing seemed somewhat similar to Anne Hathaway’s lovely creme colored gown. But those fold-over sleeves were bizarre, and topped off with that gag-reaction yellow stuff around the neck and back.  YUCK!
      But you should have seen all the glowing comments on the Daily Mail website — the Brits were raving about her classy look and quirky yet elegant gown.  It belongs in the closet with Bjoerk’s swan dress, if you ask me.

4. avatar J G says:

Richard, Of course we know that you are not putting down cancer. They did have a strange bromance.
    Mr. Wow, I was sure you would have changed your mind re: Cate’s dress. I think she looks stunning tonight.

• avatar Mr. Wow says:

I’m sorry.  I tried.  SHE looks stunning.  And I’m sure she loves her dress.  That’s what matters.

Mandy Moore.  Bad posture.  I do think I like this gown.  Well….from the waist down.  She needed more business with her hair. Slightly bigger hair.  To balance out that flounce.

Not much singing happening.  Is that a good thing?  I always enjoyed the bad production numbers.

• avatar J G says:

Ok, don’t mind me while I get catty for a moment.
        I didn’t understand the whole point of the Mandy Moore number. Bad Posture, bad close up, bad lighting, boring song, wrong hair, bad dress.
        There. And it was boring.
        And I wouldn’t call it a bad production number like the good ole days when Billy Cristal (sp) ran the show.
        That was just dull….

• avatar Richard Bassett says:

All of those ‘Lion King’ “Finding Nemo’ ‘Cinderella’ cartoon movie songs all sound the same to me. I  actually noticed and liked Mandy’s dress….for the song that she did.

5. avatar Mr. Wow says:

The gloves on the costume designer.  Well—I noticed them, so I guess she made her point.

6. avatar Tee Zee says:

Please, please, please, Kevin Spacey, host next year! I did ask nicely.

7. avatar Richard Bassett says:

Jake and Taylor Swift made a cute couple. I thought they were perfect together. :-(

8. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Now I know…James looks like he’s right off the set of a “Twilight” movie.

Amy Adams.  No. No.  Jake. Stiff. And he always has that slightly mournful puppy dog look.   But a beautiful tux.

9. avatar Mr. Wow says:

This guy with the hair was sweet!

10. avatar Maizie James says:

Thanks Mr. wOw for keeping us posted.
    I’ve been switching back and forth between The Oscar’s and episode three of Any Human Heart on PBS Masterpiece Classics.  Fortunately, I think I caught most of the awards that were announced.  There were a few surprises.  Um… I’m still rooting for The King’s Speech for the top award, however I won’t be too surprised it the Oscar goes to The Social Network.  After all, it appeals to a much broader and younger demographic – as in all those 40, 30, and young 20 ‘something’ Facebook users.

11. avatar Maizie James says:

Oh!  Oprah.  Guess what?  I saw her show on Friday with Diana Ross … thanks to Liz Smith.  It was great seeing Diana with her family.  She [Diana] looked wonderful with a few extra pounds.

• avatar Richard Bassett says:

I was talking to Randy Taraborrelli (a Liz Taylor biography writer) about the Ross appearence. Yes, she was fabulous and Oprah was just a fan. Diana never goes into too much detail of her personal life…so I really couldn’t call it an interview. She still has her pipes!

12. avatar Mr. Wow says:

OPRAH.

Whoa!  THis is how a bountiful  woman with a billion dollars and six hours to get ready ought to dress.  However, she’s suffering just a bit not being to control her lighting, as she does on her own show.  I love her hair.

And I’m no Oprah fan in general.  I am glad  she’s allowed nature to take its course, more or less.  She never looked good to me when she was slim.

13. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Excuse me.  I have take a sleeping pll.  Don’t worry, they never work until three a.m. (I generally need Oprah’s lighting!)

14. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Billy Crystal.  Next year, please?

15. avatar J G says:

You’re right about men and plastic surgery, Mr. Wow. I love Billy Crystal, but I wish he didn’t go the plastic surgery route.

16. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Oh, Jude.  Still quite fetching.

17. avatar J G says:

Mr. Wow, you just brought me to tears with laughter. Goodnight, my ambien is kicking in.
    Until next year….although I do regularly “like” your articles and share them on my facebook page.

18. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Okay…off to take the second pill.  No, no…please. Not to be concerned.  They won’t have to make me up while I’m still slumbering, a la MM.  No matter how underslept, I’m up with the birds, thinking about…lunchtime.

19. avatar Richard Bassett says:

My pill is Valium!!! :-)

20. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Good color on Anne.  That very deep red.

Let’s see the rest of it.

Hmmmm…this what Florence should have worn on the red carpet!

21. avatar Charles says:

Is everryone as disappointed in the show as I am? Bad writing and “Just Boring”!

• avatar Mr. Wow says:

THis is not as bad as some.  I always think I’m remembering nostalgically shows that weren;t much better.  Just had stars I truly cared about in some way.

22. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Much perferred Paltrow’s song gown to what she arrived in…Jennifer very pouter pigeon in her deep cut number.

23. avatar Lizzie R. says:

I haven’t commented  yet, but will jump in and say it is very broing this year…yawn. What is wrong with it anyway? Think they need an older host who is a comedian to liven it up. It just d-r-a-g-s endlessly.

• avatar Mr. Wow says:

FRanco and Hathaway not a good fit.  And she is actually a little too “youthful.”  Some gravitas is not to be despised.

Uh, oh…Celine and the Dead.

24. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Judy’s version was better.

25. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Halle Berry and Lena.

That was it?  Didn’t spare too time on Miss Horne.