Mr. wOw’s 2011 Oscar Telecast — Live Blog!

Shutterstock

Join us as our irascible, indomitable and irresistible Mr. wOw hosts tonight’s Academy Awards presentation

Here it is..  our favorite man’s inimitable take on the fashion, the faux, and the fun of the biggest night in Hollywood. Take him on yourself in the comments section below!

1. avatar Mr. Wow says:

That pizza has not arrived yet.

More peanut butter!

2. avatar Richard Bassett says:

The Oscar ceremonies reflect the year in films. Pretty evenly paced, nothing standing out beyond perfection, so that is what we get. Anne H and James F are just not MC material. Why they agreed to do it, I’ll never know. The rehearsals must have given them SOME indication.

3. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Anne!  Great color.  Icky material.  Looked like linoleum.

Kathryn Bigelo—striking woman!  ( I KNOW I got the spelling wrong)

Very happy re Mr. Hooper.  His mum is lovely. And obviously a smart cookie

4. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Annette…you must win.

5. avatar Richard Bassett says:

And The Swan swims off with the Award……………….

6. avatar Baby Snooks says:

Just thought I’d pop in and since I’m not watching I can’t comment.  But will catch the “fashion show” tomorrow and may comment on that.  Do I miss it? Not at all.  Last year was the last year. I miss the old Hollywood.  About the only remnant of it is the Vanity Fair party and that is more the new Hollywood than the old Hollywood and filled with more “wannabe-photographed-with-the-stars-and-pretend-I’m-one-of-them” types than people who really are “one of them.”

I am curious as to whether anyone wished Elizabeth Taylor a happy birthday from the podium.

7. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Jeff Bridges…please trim the beard.  Otherwise you are still the man.

Did you see the size the rocks around Nicole’s neck?   Real, I hope.  And not borrowed.

Natalie’s tassel eaarings. The jury’s out.

Michelle was brilliant, I must say.

Jesus!   Natalie.  Oh, well.  She’s beautiful and talented and sincere.  But why this year?  She has so much time.  Quite disappointed.

8. avatar Mr. Wow says:

If Colin Firth doesn’t win I’m catching  a plane  to L.A. tonight. Enraged.   I’ll party with Lindsay at the Chateau Marmont to ease my pain.

• avatar Baby Snooks says:

You know I miss the Chateau Marmont.  The old one. Pre-Lindsay Lohan. Oh, the Richard Gere stories. That I will never tell.  Fun back then. But, well, what a dump. I can say that and get away with it since no one knows who I am.

9. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Colin Firth.  Welll…crap.  Lindsay’s parties are always such fun.  And you can always pick up odd bits of jewelry.

Seriously—Colin, thank goodness!

10. avatar Richard Bassett says:

Well, I’ll bow out now and read about Best Pic tomorrow. Night all. Thanks Mr WoW, for providing the platform. It was fun. The show, uneventful, but, like you…I’ve seen worse.

11. avatar Lizzie R. says:

Well, there is something good about it, after  all.

12. avatar Mr. Wow says:

I am still hopeful that “The King’s Speech” will nab Best Picture.  Iffy at this point, despite Hooper’s win.

I won’t cry over “The Social Network” winning.  Just…pout a bit. (Never an attractive look after the age of 40)

13. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Spielberg…he’s made plenty of crap, too.  I just like to remind people.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  THe King’s Speech.

Thank goodness, no pouting.  Honest, at 58 it’s such a grim thing to observe.

Congrats, Harvey Weinstein.

• avatar Baby Snooks says:

Well all I know apparently is that The King’s Speech won best picture. Which was not a surprise. I guess I’ll check the rundown on Yahoo or something of who else won.

14. avatar Mr. Wow says:

Anne’s last gown….I like this!  Keep it, honey.

Eh, I out now.

THANK YOU, my wonderful readers here.  You were brave and sweet to stick around or check in now and then.

Good night, god bless, I love you!   (Yeah, Judy’s final words on the Carnegie Hall album–these kids are singing “Over the Rainbow”—it came to me.)

15. avatar Maizie James says:

Yea to The King’s Speech!  What a WONDERFUL ending!  The children’s choir was the Pièce de résistance.

• avatar CatA says:

The children’s choir was a nice touch – in theory.  Unfortunately, they were all such well-trained little seals, with their moves, and their perfect look-into-the camera smiles.  Such a “perfect performance” that it seemed to lack any sincerity.  I guess to hear a touching rendition, I’ll just continue to listen to Judy or Iz’s versions of this lovely song.

16. avatar LuckyLady n/a says:

Nobody has mentioned the Kirk Douglas segment! I felt such sympathy for him.  However it is time to hang up the tap shoes and get off the stage!  What can the academy been thinking of?

• avatar Mr. Wow says:

Dear LL…actually, I did mention it as it was happening.  What to say?  Old age ain’t for sissies. Or egomaniacs who can’t get off the stage.
      I felt embarassed and then ashamed of my own embarassment. I’ll be there someday, one way or another.

17. avatar HauntedLady says:

There seemed to be a lot missing last night. Like the usual suspects – Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, George Clooney, Meryl Streep, and others that usually show up on red carpets like toadstools after the rain. Did I just miss them? The whole show was OK but not memorable. I watched most of it but found myself picking up a book and reading a bit here and there. I think it was missing a lot of pizazz or oomph or something.

One question – what’s so great about Nicole Kidman? The only thing I’ve seen her in that I liked was a movie she did before her face froze in which she played an overly ambitious would-be newscaster. Everything after that has been kind of blah. HATED Moulin Rouge.

18. avatar HauntedLady says:

And condolences about your cat. It’s always very hard to lose a pet.

• avatar Mr. Wow says:

Dear Haunted One…thank you on the cat (Sweetie)  It was a shock, tho we knew her heart was bad.   Peaceful, in her sleep.

As for Miss Kidman, “To Die For” was her greatest performance–tho I did enjoy “Malice” and the epic she did with Tom, “Far and Away.”  And she gave a masterful turn in “Birth” which has a great cult following.  (Miss Bacall is wonderful in that as well)  Her appearance works against her–too thin and strained. (I think the Botox stories are inflated but she has had some alterations.)

• avatar Baby Snooks says:

I lost the last of the litter that the mother decided to leave with my dog almost 20 years ago about this time last year.  I buried her by a tree in the little park next door. In the dead of night. Not really supposed to do such things.  But she loved to go sit out there.

Tweedle Dee. She had a “twin” named Tweedle Dum. Tuxedo cats. And you could not tell them apart except by their name.  No dumbies these cats.  Tweedle Dum took off after one move. Months later I spotted her on a walk.  She came up to me and rubbed my leg. Then this woman called out to her. “Jezebel.”  I told her about Tweedle Dum. And left her there. And told the woman she was more Jezebel than Tweedle Dum. I ran into that woman in the fall.  Tweedle Dum died about the same time Tweedle Dee did.

Now if you like cats, Mr. Wow, not to worry.  One will appear at your door soon to steal your heart again. They always do mine anyway.

Another cat ran off as well. When I moved to a condo around the corner, there he was in a window. Knew it was him.  My new neighbor who I told the story to finally said something to the people. They claimed they adopted him at the shelter when he was a kitten. But my neighbor knew it was him. What are the odds of there being two obnoxious tuxedo cats that have the curious habit of “marking” someone they don’t like?  Not “marking” really because he was fixed. But you get the picture.

• avatar Baby Snooks says:

Oh. And Nicole Kidman. She looks dreadful. She should have left well enough alone.

• avatar HauntedLady says:

I haven’t seen Malice or Birth but have tried to watch Far And Away a few times. Unfortunately, it always puts me to sleep. Must be me. I’ll look for the other two and see what happens.

19. avatar rick gould says:

Mr. wOw–
    Well, bless you for tuning in and hosting here.
    From what I read, it looks like another year of “improving” the Oscars has failed.
    And the PR about making it more youth-oriented made me laugh. Older Hollywood has not been represented in years.
    Aside from kicking myself to tune in to see if it would be better, and then it is not, I just knew that Annette Bening would be passed over yet again. Nothing against Natalie, but really…
    And second, what with all the silly bits and time wasters, they couldn’t acknowledge Elizabeth Taylor. The AP announced she’d be watching… from her hospital bed… after a serious illness… on her birthday… 50 years after she accepted her first Oscar barely a month after almost dying of pneumonia… one of AIDS greatest activists…and one of Hollywood’s greatest stars. Shame on the Oscar producers and the Academy!
    This is why awards shows and new Hollywood turn my stomach.

• avatar Mr. Wow says:

Dear Rick…nope, they were too busy getting James Franco into drag to think of Miss Taylor in her hospital bed.

As Baby Snooks said  F**k em!”

• avatar Maizie James says:

James Franco was in ‘drag’?  I didn’t see that part … I was switching back and forth watching the last episode of Any Human Heart.
        I agree that Miss Taylor should have been honored in some way.

• avatar Baby Snooks says:

The photos are on the internet. Suffice it to say James Franco will not be cast as Marilyn Monroe any time soon.  As for the fashion show, well, borrowed gowns and borrowed jewels. My only real comment is someone got the gowns and jewels mixed up in some cases.  Suffice it to say Mr. Blackwell would have loved it.

It’s all really quite boring. One reason may be that is really quite commercial at this point. In a way the “show” itself is a commercial.  For designers and jewelers.

I was a blip on the radar  of Hollywod long ago.  Hollywood I guess has become just a blip on mine. What happens when you get jaded too young.

20. avatar Rho says:

Sorry I could not join you last night, my computer went nuts.  The highlights for me was seeing Kirk Douglas and the kids from Staten Island.  The rest was very boring.

• avatar Mr. Wow says:

Dear Rho…sorry about your computer!  To be honest, facing six and  half hours blogging live on this nonsense, I was kinda hoping my  own computer would go nuts.

Alas, it was not to be and so I babbled on and on.

Mr. Douglas borught up a variety of strong emotions.

The kids were more than all right!

21. avatar Andy C says:

Scarlett’s hair!  She had the just rolled out of bed look and while I thought she could carry off anything; this wasn’t one of the things she could.

James Franco — awful.

Kirk Douglas — while admirable, still on too long and started really making me uncomfortable…he should have someone, perhaps Michael, up there with him and it would have worked.

Billy Crystal — love him as always, but he needed a longer spot.

Loved, loved, loved the “Late Bloomer” speech — how nice.